Rope Access for Natural Surface Work
This rope access course is designed for anyone who works exclusively in a natural surface environment; bush regenerators, NPWS staff, geotechs, landscapers, biologists, environmental officers and so on. The course is run entirely outdoors and is purely aimed at fall protection, access & appropriate rescue techniques in a natural surface context. For an introduction to working at heights in a natural environment, please see our Height Safety Training for Natural Surfaces course.
Modern rope access technique is a statistically safe, highly efficient & transportable system of work that allows for solutions in situations where there would be no other option. Rope access can be used for bush regeneration & vegetation management, rock scaling, geotechnical work, surveying, track & bridge work in bush settings and a host of other applications. Our program is an amalgam of standard ‘built surface’ ropes access techniques meshed with wilderness rescue rigging & climbing skills.
The rope access for natural surfaces course typically covers:
- Current Australian WHS legislation and the international rope access standard ISO 22846
- Understanding methods of fall protection and work in suspension in a natural environment
- Rope access equipment with an emphasis on lightweight, packable gear
- Knots, hitches & bends for rope access rigging
- Anchor rigging specific to natural environments (using trees, blocks, bollards, removable bolts, SMC Rescue Stayk system and where applicable climbing protection)
- Rope mobility (ascending, descending & lateral movement)
- Using tools and equipment whilst in suspension
- Mid rope self & partner rescues, and
- Team based rescues.
The course duration is typically three days but may vary due to specific client requirements, context & venue.
Successful participants receive a nationally accredited RIIWHS204D Working at Heights qualification which is provided in partnership with the Professional Association of Climbing Instructors Pty Ltd (RTO ID 2808).
We Only Accept Group Bookings
We only accept group bookings for this course. If you represent four or more people, please feel free to contact us by calling 02 4784 2224 or, if you prefer, complete our course enquiry form below.